Cookies and Similar Technologies Policy
Version Effective Date: 5th November 2021
- We will amend this Cookies and Similar Technologies Policy from time to time to ensure that it is kept up to date.
What are cookies?
- Cookies are small pieces of data (in text file format) that are set by website servers and stored on your browser or device. You can find out more about cookies at www.allaboutcookies.org/.
- By using cookies we are able to analyse how visitors use and interact with our websites. We may use this information to improve your experience when visiting our websites, for example by assisting you in navigating around our websites, enabling a function to ‘remember your username’ or saved applications.
Use of “similar technologies”
- Cookies are not the only way to recognise or track visitors to a website. We may use other similar technologies from time to time, like web beacons and pixels (sometimes called "tracking pixels" or "clear gifs"). These are tiny graphics files that contain a unique identifier that enable us to recognise when someone has visited our websites or opened an email that we have sent to them. This allows us, for example, to monitor the traffic patterns of users from one page within our websites to another, to understand whether you our visiting our websites from an online advertisement displayed on a third-party website, to improve site performance and to measure the success of our online advertising campaigns (e.g. to tell whether you have found us via LinkedIn or other third party careers sites). In many instances, these technologies are reliant on cookies to function properly, and so declining cookies will impair their functioning.
- Enabling our websites to function – Strictly necessary cookies
- Some cookies are essential in order for our websites to function. These cookies facilitate your movement around our websites, remember user preferences and enable you to log into secure areas such as your account. They also assist us in identifying your device and location and presenting you with a compatible version of our websites.
- Without these cookies, we cannot ensure that your navigation of our websites will be smooth, nor can we ensure you will remain logged in to your account during your visit or that unfinished applications will be saved correctly.
- If you disable these cookies you will not be able to make full use of our website or services that are dependent on the use of these cookies.
- To analyse performance
- You can opt-out from Google Analytics cookies by clicking here: https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout/
- You can find out more about how to opt-out from Google Advertising cookies by clicking here: https://support.google.com/ads/answer/2662922?hl=en-GB
- Other functional cookies
- We may also use other third-party cookies to ensure the functionality of other third-party software or services we provide on our websites. Without these cookies you are likely to experience difficulties with functionality. For example, PeopleBank HR deploy certain cookies on the Genting recruitment site in order to facilitate the delivery of our online applications journey.
- Cookie technology and emails
- We use web beacons, pixels and gifs in some of our marketing emails. This technology helps us to understand a little bit about how you interact with us and are used to improve our future email communications and campaigns.
- Beacons, pixels and gifs are tiny, invisible images placed within an email message that let us know whether you have opened an email, how often you have opened it, how you interacted with the email (such as the time you spent reading the email or whether you clicked on an advertisement displayed within it), which email software and web browser you used, which device you used and your IP address. They can also be used to help us display emails in the best format for your device.
- If you do not wish to accept this technology within our emails, you can close the email before downloading any images or clicking on any links or in some cases by disabling images and viewing the email in plain text only rather than HTML. You may also wish to adjust your browser and device settings to control cookie and image settings. In some instances, depending on your email or browser settings, cookies in an email may be automatically accepted (for example, when you've added an email address to your address book or safe senders list). Please refer to your email browser or device instructions for more information on this.
Current cookie functionality
Cookies deployed on our website as at the date of this policy carry out the following broad functions – all data recorded is anonymous and does not identify users at an individual level:
- Record where visitors have visited from – e.g. from a search engine or another site;
- Store number of visits to our website;
- Record basic information about how visitors use our website;
- Implement security features to safeguard against unauthorised access;
- Store user browser preferences – e.g. preferred language, number of searches to be displayed per page etc;
- Location features – records where user is located;
- PeopleBank HR session cookies – to facilitate the online application journey via PeopleBank integrated services;
- Facebook tracking pixels.
How to control and delete cookies
- Should you wish to control what cookies we use, you can do so by accessing your cookie / privacy settings within your browser or device. You can find out more information about how best to do this by visiting www.aboutcookies.org which contains comprehensive information about how to do this on a wide variety of browsers. You will also find information here about how to delete your cookies.
- Your mobile devices most likely also provide advertising identifiers. These identifiers are controlled by the device itself. Mobile phones use different operating systems so it isn’t possible for us to be specific as to how you can control your privacy settings. However, we would suggest that you look for ‘Ads’, ‘Advertising’ or ‘Privacy’ within your device settings or refer to any guidance available in your device’s user manual.